Albuquerque, New Mexico
The ABQ BioPark’s Horticulture team is seeking a highly motivated and organized team member to serve as the Database Coordinator at the ABQ BioPark. The Database Coordinator will maintain our plant records and irrigation data systems and conduct field checks of associated plant collections and irrigation networks. This is a part time position not to exceed 24 hours per week.
The Database Coordinator will manage and maintain the registration of records documenting the purchase, care, and status of our plant collections and manage and maintain the software for our irrigation systems within the biological park. This position will implement program goals and objectives for each system; and perform a variety of administrative, professional and technical tasks in support of assigned area of responsibility. The Database Coordinator will report to the BioPark Curator of Plants and is part of the Horticulture Department, receiving direction from higher level supervisory or management staff within the department.
The Database Coordinator’s duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Manage and maintain precise records for the biological park collection including plants and irrigation systems
• Coordinate migration of IRIS BG plant accessions database and Motorola IrrInet software including data cleaning, file organization, updating associated records, names, locations, and sources, and defining custom data fields
• Update newly acquired accessions on a regular basis to accurately reflect the composition of the plant collection
• Maintain the database: Participate in plant records and irrigation mapping activities including maintaining and supporting plant accessions database, geodatabase, and image documentation
• Maintain accurate labeling: coordinate with support staff to produce plant accession tags and display labels and affix them to plant specimens in the field
• Perform mapping and inventories: survey irrigation components, plants, beds, and infrastructure with GPS / GIS equipment, and research and verify names and locations
• Troubleshoot database problems and coordinate periodic software upgrades
• Support establishment of accessioning protocols
• Stay abreast of new trends and innovations within the assigned program area
• Perform related duties and responsibilities as required
Environmental - Office environment; exposure to computer screens. Field environment; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, inclement weather conditions; work in or with water; work underground.
Physical - Essential and supplemental functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting for prolonged periods of time; repeated squatting and bending, extensive use of computer keyboard.